- PDP DRAGS YOBE GOVERNOR TO COURT OVER TAKING UP APC CECPC CHAIRMAN ROLE.
- NIGER COMMISSIONER REGAINS FREEDOM FROM BANDIT WITHOUT RANSOM.
- ALGERIA DECLARES 3 DAYS NATIONAL MOURNING FOR VICTIMS OF WILDFIRES.
- US SETS TO RECOMMEND COVID-19 BOOST JABS TO SAFEGUARD VACCINATED PEOPLE.
The People’s Democratic Party, PDP has dragged Yobe governor, Mai mala Buni to court over taking up the role of chairman, All Progressives Congress, APC caretaker/extraordinary convention planning committee, CECPC.
PDP, in a suit filed at the federal high court sitting in Abuja said holding two executive positions violated the constitution, hence the need for his removal, adding that by serving as APC chairman, the office of Buni and his deputy governor, Idi Gubana have become vacant.
Meanwhile, the legal action had demanded that the PDP candidate in the 2019 election, Umar Damagum and his running mate, Baba Aji, be sworn in.
Governor Buni was appointed the caretaker chairman in June 2020 after the crisis that consumed the National Working Committee, NWC led by former Edo governor, Adams Oshiomhole, however, in reaction to the suit, the APC condemned PDP’S court action, which it described as misplaced and frivolous.
The family of Niger State Commissioner for Information, Mohammed Idris has confirmed that no ransom was paid to secure the commissioner from his abductors.
The family spokesman, Ado Ada made the confirmation, saying though the bandits opened discussions with the family, requesting for 200 million naira but said no dime was paid, saying the commissioner’s release was with divine intervention from the Almighty Allah.
Ada further expressed delight over Idris’ safe return, adding that he had since reunited with his family after he was taken to a hospital for medicals.
It would be recalled that the commissioner was kidnapped from his residence at Baban Tunga in the early hours of August 9.
The United Nations has expressed deep concern about the incessant killings in Niger.
UN Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres condemned the latest gunmen attack in Banibangou in the region of Tillabéri of Niger while briefing correspondents at UN headquarters in New York.
Guterres who expressed his condolences to the bereaved families and wished the injured a swift recovery reaffirmed The UN’s readiness to support the government’s efforts to enhance the protection of civilians across the Sahel.
It would be recalled that not less than 15 people were murdered on August 9 in an attack in Western Niger, less than two weeks after 33 people were killed by jihadists.
Meanwhile, following the August 8 attack in Gao, a city in Mali which left about 50 civilians dead, peacekeepers are patrolling the area, day and night and have established a temporary base in the area of Ouattagouna from where they would protect civilians.
Algeria’s President, Abdelmadjid Tebboune has declared three days of national mourning for over 69 people killed in the devastating wildfires in the country.
President Tebboune made the declaration in a televised briefing, saying the blazes, which erupted in such a short span of time, started from illegal activity.
Meanwhile, the country’s state prosecutor has ordered an investigation after a mob allegedly lynched a man they accused of sparking the wildfires, as report revealed that Algeria is chartering two firefighting planes from the European Union, while France also announced the arrival of two Canadian firefighting planes it had sent to help the rescue efforts to deal with the terrible fires.
United Kingdom police has revealed it will re-examine allegations against Duke of York, Prince Andrew due to the U.S civil suit against him for alleged sexual abuse.
Speaking to newsmen, the head of London’s metropolitan police, Cressida Dick, disclosed that the force would review the claims, after previously opting not to open an investigation.
It would be recalled that American-Australian sex trafficking campaigner, Virginia Louise, alleged that the Duke of York sexually abused her when she was under 18 over 20 years ago.
Meanwhile, Prince Andrew, who is Queen Elizabeth second son is yet to publicly comment on the lawsuit but had previously strongly denied having sex with Louise or even meeting her.
The United Kingdom police has confirmed the killing of six people in a rare mass shooting in the city of Plymouth in Southwest England.
British police disclosed in a statement that two females and three males, including the suspect were confirmed dead from gunshot wounds at the scene while the third woman died in hospital.
Speaking to newsmen, British home secretary, Priti patel described the incident as shocking but urged people in the city to follow police advice as investigations are still ongoing.
Reacting on his social media account, leader of the opposition, Keir Starmer, expressed shock over the incident, expressing sympathy with the families of the deceased.
The United States has revealed its intention to recommend Covid-19 booster jabs for people who have been vaccinated as the Delta variant spreads rapidly among the unvaccinated.
Speaking to newsmen at a press briefing, U.S government’s top infectious disease scientist, Dr Anthony Fauci, expressed belief that sooner or later the country will need a booster for durability.
Fauci, who doubles as the director of the country’s national institute of allergy and infectious diseases, also confirmed that the institute is dealing with a global outbreak of the delta variant and evaluating a number of studies.
It would be noted that the world is facing a global outbreak of the Delta variant of the coronavirus which is more than two times as infectious as the original Covid-19 virus and which had been detected now in 117 countries.
Myanmar’s former military leader, than Shwe has been Hospiatlised after testing positive for covid-19.
Shwe, 88 who was admitted to hospital in Naypyidaw even as its citizens with the virus are left to look after themselves in crowded health facilities across the country amid a new surge in cases was said to had ruled the country with an iron fist for 20 years.
It was gathered that the former miliary leader and his wife, Kyaing Kyaing, have been warded at the 1,000-bed military-owned hospital in Thaik Chaung in the capital for several days before his positive Covid 19 test finally came out.
However, report says the couple were in good health and were believed to have received their inoculations as the country’s vaccine programme gives priority to people aged 65 and above.