HERE ARE THE HIGHLIGHTS
- PLATEAU GOVERNOR FURTHER RELAXES CURFEW, BAN IN STATE.
- SUDAN SUMMONS ETHIOPIA’S AMBASSADOR OVER 29 BODIES FOUND IN RIVER.
- UN SECRETARY-GENERAL SETS TO TRACK DOWN TALIBAN WITH HUMANITARIAN AID.
- ON SPORT, SUPER EAGLES CAPTAIN TO RECEIVE 10 MILLION NAIRA FROM NFF.
Plateau state governor, simon lalong has further relaxed the curfew imposed earlier on jos north local government area of the state.
Governor lalong who made the announcement in a statement released to newsmen also said the ban earlier placed on the operations of tricycles in the state had been lifted.
It would be recalled that the curfew and ban on tricycles were invoked by the government in the wake of the recent attacks and killings in some parts of the state.
Meanwhile, after a meeting of the state security council held on september 7 at the new government house little rayfield in jos, the state capital, the governor approved that beginning from today, september 8, 2021, the curfew in jos north would be enforced from 10pm to 6am while the ban placed on operations of tricycles would be lifted from 6am to 6pm daily.
Sudan has summoned ethiopia’s ambassador to khartoum, jamal elsheikh over 29 corpses found on the banks of a river abutting ethiopia.
In a statement made available to newmsen, sudan’s foreign ministry said the sudanese authorities had summoned elsheikh since august 30, 2021 to come and clarified the bodies that were found between july 26 and august 8 on the sudanese side of the setit river, known in ethiopia as the tekeze and how they were killed but was yet to honour the summon.
Report says the river is the current de facto borderline between territory controlled by tigrayan forces and those controlled by amhara forces allied with ethiopia’s federal government and at a different point, the river also separates sudan from ethiopia.
Meanwhile, tensions between sudan and ethiopia have been running high because of a spillover of the conflict in ethiopia’s northern tigray region and ethiopia’s construction of a giant hydropower dam on the blue nile.
The united nations secretary-general, antónio guterres has revealed that humanitarian aid can be an entry point for dealing with the taliban.
Guterres revealed this while feilding question with newsmen, saying the level of suffering in afghanistan is unbearable and the duty of the un is to stay and deliver on its mandate, calling on the taliban to provide the conditions for them to do their work.
Also speaking in a separate interview with reporters, a spokesman for the un, farhan haq said the global body does not engage in acts of recognition of governments, adding that regarding the taliban new interim government announcement, only a negotiated and inclusive settlement would bring sustainable peace to afghanistan.
The world health organisation, who senior officials have stated that the covid 19 delta strain remains the top concern in countries.
Who technical lead for covid-19, dr. Kerkhove maria who stated this, explained that the delta strain calls for concern due to the increased transmissibility and that it is more transmissible compared to the ancestral strain, which means that it could spread to more people.
Maria who stated that there are a lot of circulation among unvaccinated people however observed positive developments, including a reduction in hospitalisations and scientists studying to see how the virus might be changing, with new variants coming up called mu.
Confirming this, head of who’s health emergencies programme, dr. Michael ryan said the officials found that the new variant is highly contagious and appearing to outcompete others, as it had spread to 49 states in america.
Reactions have continued to trail taliban announcement of new afghan government
The taliban chief spokesman, zabihullah mujahid had on september 7 announced an all-male caretaker government drawn exclusively from its inner echelons, including a man under united nations sanctions, mullah hasan as prime minister and taliban co-founder, abdulghani baradar as the deputy leader and another on a united states terrorism list, sirajuddin haqqani as interior minister.
Report says the taliban announced the top members of their government in a move that would cement their power over afghanistan and set the tone of their new rule days after a chaotic united states troop pullout.
However, reacting to the develoment, a spokesperson for the united states department of state, noted that the announced list of names consists exclusively of individuals who are members of the taliban or their close associates and no women while turkish president, recep tayyip erdogan said he was carefully monitoring developments in afghanistan.
The head of the united nations women’s agency, pramila patten has stated that the taliban’s exclusion of women in afghanistan’s new government calls into question its commitment to protect and respect the rights of women and girls.
Patten, in a statement made available to newsmen said the move by taliban leadership excluding women from the machinery of government sent the wrong signal about their stated goal of building an inclusive, strong and prosperous society.
The un head who described women’s political participation, a fundamental prerequisite for gender equality and genuine democracy therefore noted that the un is committed to contribute to a peaceful solution, promote the human rights of all afghans, notably women and girls as well provide life-saving humanitarian assistance.
Not less than 41 personshave been confirmed dead after a fire tore through an overcrowded indonesian prison in the early hours of today, septembr 8, injuring dozens of others.
Jakarta police chief, fadil imran confirmed the incidence to newsmen, saying the incident occurred when most inmates were asleep and 72 people had minor injuries.
Imran however stated that firefighters had been deployed to extinguished the blaze, which was mostly contained within one block that housed prisoners jailed on drug charges and evacuated the victims.
Expressing sadness, indonesia’s justice minister, yasonna laoly stated that forty persons died on the scene and the last one died on his way to the hospital but noted that authorities were still investigating the cause of the incident.
Super eagles captain, ahmed musa, will receive the sum of 10 million naira from the nigeria football federation, nff after 2-1 win against cape verde.
Nff president, amaju pinnick confirmed this, saying musa achieved the milestone during the world cup qualifier against cape verde at the estádio municipal adérito sena in mindelo, yesterday, september 7, 2021 and following the win the nff would give him 10 million naira for reaching the 100th cap for the country.
Pinnick who stated that the former leicester city winger started the game, which the eagles went on to win 2-1, added that the federation would sustain the gesture and honour the eagles players that hit 100 games henceforth.
Report says musa would become the third player to reach 100 caps for nigeria after joseph yobo and vincent enyeama musa.