- INEC TO COMMENCE ONLINE VOTERS REGISTRATION ON JUNE 28.
- LAGOS GOVT BEGINS INVESTIGATION TO ASCERTAIN THE CAUSE OF IKEJA GAS EXPLOSION.
- COURT AFFIRMS PRESIDENCY POWER TO EXTEND IGP TENURE.
- ON ENTERTAINMENT, TOPE ALABI FINALLY APPOLIOGISES TO ONIDUROMI SINGER.
The Lagos state government has begun investigation to ascertain the cause of June 17’s gas explosion in front of the Ogun State Property Investment Company, opic plaza in Ikeja.
Director general, Lagos State Safety Commission, Lanre Majola made the disclosure while speaking with newsmen after inspecting the damage caused by the explosion, saying investigation is going on, but assured that report on the outcome of the incident will published later.
According to him, the incident could have been avoided if the prerequisite safety standards were followed by the truck conveying the LPG, lamenting that the government had held several meeting with stakeholders especially with handling of gas.
It was reported that no fewer than three persons have been confirmed dead in a gas tanker explosion in the Ikeja area of Lagos state.
A federal high court sitting in Abuja has upheld the power of the president to extend the tenure of a retiring inspector general of police, IGP pending the completion of the process for the appointment of a substantive successor.
The Presiding Jugde, Justice Ahmed Mohammed made the pronouncement in a judgment in the suit by a lawyer, Maxwell Okpara, who challenged President Muhammadu Buhari’s decision to extend the tenure of the immediate past IGP, Muhammed Adamu for three months earlier in the year.
Justice Mohammed held that since the constitution and the police act empower the president to appoint an IGP, by implication, he could extend the tenure of a retiring IGP before concluding the required consultation with the police council.
The judge also observed that the constitution and the police act are silent on the issue of whether or not the president could extend the tenure of a retired IGP.
Kebbi state police command has dismissed allegations that the kidnappers who abducted about 50 students from the Federal Government College, Birnin Yawuri, on June 17 used a police vehicle to convey the abductees.
State Public Relations Officer of the command, Nafiu Abubakar, in a statement to newsmen, said the Toyota Hilux van used by the kidnappers was hijacked from a high court judge in the state with the inscription Kebbi state judiciary.
In a related development, the Deputy Force Commander of the Joint Taskforce in the north-west zone, Air Commodore Abubakar Abdulkadir, has confirmed the death of one of the abducted students of the college.
Abdulkadir also hinted that five others, comprising four students and a teacher have been rescued by the joint taskforce component of operation HADARIn DAJI.
The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, will begin the online voter registration through its official registration portal on June 28, 2021.
INEC’s National Commissioner, Festus Okoye, made the announcement at a news briefing on the preparations for the Gwaram bye-election in Dutse.
According to the commissioner, the INEC voter registration portal will enable people register online and later go to their respective state or local government office of the commission to capture their biometrics and facials.
Meanwhile, responding to questions on the act of some electorates who are forcing INEC officials not to use the card reader for the election, the commission revealed that it will not entertain any election conducted without the use of card readers in the country.
Kaduna state governor, Nasir El Rufai, has sacked over 90 of his political appointees.
Governor El-Rufai made the disclosure while speaking with journalists in Kaduna.
He explained that the move is geared towards reducing the size of civil servants, noting that government appointees will go first.
The governor said the disengaged political appointees constitute 30% of political officeholders, adding that the rightsizing of civil servants will still go on as planned due to dwindling revenues that is accruing to the state government from the federation account.
The popular Gospel minister, Adeyinka Alaseyori, has called for calm over criticism that followed her colleague, Tope Alabi’s condemnation of her hit track ‘Oniduro Mi’.
Speaking in a live video via her verified Facebook account, Alaseyori appealed to fans to allow peace to reign adding that Tope Alabi is a mother in the industry and she is always delighted to worship and praise God.
Reacting, Tope Alabi finally admitted that she was wrong to have publicly called Alaseyori over the song, stating that the gospel singer is her daughter in the ministry and the matter has been settled amicably.
Tope Alabi had been under fire after a video went viral in which she condemned the lyrics of the song which made reference to God as ‘Oniduro Mi’.