HERE ARE THE HIGHLIGHTS
- AMOTEKUN RESCUES REMAINING 3 KIDNAPPED VICTIMS, HUNTS FOR KILLER CULTISTS IN ONDO.
- ECOWAS CONFIRMS OVERTHROWN GUINEA PRESIDENT’S HEALTH, CALLS FOR RELEASE.
- US REPUBLICAN VOWS TO FIGHT PRESIDENT BIDEN’S NEW COVID VACCINE MANDATE.
- ON SPORT, FIFA PERMITS PLAYERS NOMINATED BY 4 COUNTRIES AHEAD OF PREMIER LEAGUE.
Forty-eight hours after rescuing nine out of the 12 passengers who were kidnapped in ondo state, the state security network agency, known as amotekun corps has rescued the remaining three victims.
The state commander of the amotekun corps, adetunji adeleye who confirmed the rescue of the remaining three victims said they were rescued following an intense rescue operation embarked upon by the corps.
Adeleye who disclosed that the victims would be reunited with their family members today, september 11, reiterated the corps’ commitment to continue to protect and effectively deliver their mandate to the people of the state.
It would be recalled that the victims numbering 12 had few days ago reported to have been waylaid by kidnappers while travelling in a lagos-bound bus on idoani-ifira road in akoko south east local government area of the state.
IN ANOTHER RELATED DEVELOPMENT,
In a bid to stem the tide of cultism in owo, local government area of ondo state, operatives of the state security outfit known as amotekun corps, owo headquarters have begun to hunt for killer cultists in the town.
Commander of the amotekun corps in the state, adetunji adeleye made this known, saying the hunt for the killers which had the state police involved, was prompted by the recent cult-related killings in the community and the hunt had commenced in full force to curb activities of cultists.
It was gathered that a youth in the community was during the week killed at iloro quarters of the town which sparked protest among the youths as the deceased was said to have been shot at a bar after he was mistaken for a target by another rival cult gang.
Meanhwile, following the development, amotekun operatives and policemen were quickly mobilised to avert a possible breakdown of law and order in town.
The overthrown guinean president, alpha conde who has been detained by soldiers since last week’s coup has been confirmed to be in good health.
Envoys from economic community of west african states, ecowas made the confirmation during a mission to the country’s capital, conakry as the ecowas’s president, jean-claude brou, who was part of the delegation told reporters that mediators had seen the 83-year-old former leader and he was in good health.
It was gathered that the visit by the delegation came as diplomatic pressure mounted on guinea’s ruling military in the wake of september 5’s power grab and that the mediators met the coup leader, lt. Col. Mamady doumbouya, who accused conde’s government of endemic corruption and of trampling on citizens rights.
Meanwhile, the visiting envoys was said to have planned to press the military government to appoint a credible civilian prime minister as soon as possible to help guide guinea back towards constitutional order as they also called for conde’s immediate and unconditional release.
IN THE MEANTIME,
Guinea’s military junta, which seized power over the weekend has ordered the central bank and other banks to freeze all government accounts.
A junta spokesman who spoke on the condition of anonymity with newsmen made the announcement.
The spokesman who stated that the move includes public administrative, commercial establishments in all ministries and the presidency, presidential programmes and projects, members of the outgoing government as well senior officials and administrators of state financial institutions, claimed that the banking freeze was aimed at securing state assets.
It would be recalled that a group of special forces soldiers on september 5 said they removed president alpha conde over concerns about poverty and endemic corruption.
The king of morocco, mohammed the vi has appointed businessman, aziz akhannouch to lead a new government after his liberal rni party thrashed the long-ruling islamists in parliamentary elections.
In a statement issued from the palace of the monarch, king mohammed asked akhannouch to form a cabinet and that his party must build a governing coalition that can command a parliamentary majority of at least 198 seats.
Report says the appointment came after the liberal rni emerged as the biggest political party in september 8’s parliamentary election, taking 102 of the 395 seats while the long-ruling justice and development party, pjd, suffered a crushing defeat, taking only 13 seats.
Meanwhile, under reforms introduced in 2011, the king picked the prime minister from the largest party in parliament but retains veto power over cabinet members as akhannouch party promised to create one million jobs to boost the economy after the coronavirus pandemic, expand health insurance to all moroccans, increase teacher salaries and provide a guaranteed pension for the elderly.
Not less than 120 civilians have been killed over two days in one village in ethiopia’s amhara region.
A local administrator in dabat, a town in northern ethiopia, sewnet wubalem confirmed the incidence with newsmen in a telephone converstion, saying the killings happened in a village 10 km from the town of dabat on september 1 and 2 respectively.
Wubalem who further explained that the recovered 120 bodies were all innocent farmers, said the number might be higher as there were still people missing.
Also speaking, the spokesperson of the nearby city of gondar, chalachew dagnew stated that thousands have died and more than 2 million people have been forced to flee their homes in a war that broke out 10 months ago between ethiopia’s federal troops and forces loyal to the tigray people’s liberation front, tplf, which controls the tigray region, adding that the rebellious forces from the tigray region are likely to be responsible for the killings of the 120 civillians.
The united states republicans party has vowed to fight president joe biden’s new vaccine mandate covering big companies and federal employees.
Republican national committee chairman, ronna mcdaniel made the pledge in a statement issued, saying when the decree goes into effect, the republican would sue the administration to protect americans and their liberties.
Meanwhile, the mandate which the white house says would cover 100 million u.s. workers and applies to about two-thirds of all u.s. employees, is being written in part by the u.s. department of labor’s occupational safety and health administration as nearly three-quarters of eligible americans have received at least one shot of the vaccine.
Report says within hours of the new measures being announced on september 9, some lawmakers, state governors and political party officials have threatened lawsuits and pledged to defy it however it was gathered that reaction from powerful business lobbying groups had been muted as some large companies have already imposed vaccine mandates of their own.
The world governing body of football, fifa has given permission to players who were called up by brazil, chile, mexico and paraguay during the last international break, to play in the premier league this weekend.
Fifa confirmed this in a statement posted on its website, following a request from the brazilian football confederation, saying the resolution was reached on september 10, less than 12 hours before the weekend’s fixtures kick off.
It would be recalled that premier league clubs unanimously agreed not to release players for matches in countries on the uk government’s red list.
However with the move by fifa, liverpool would now have alisson, fabinho and roberto firmino available for selection against leeds while ederson and gabriel jesus would be able to play for manchester city against leicester today, september 11 and chelsea would have thiago silva available while manchester united can select fred.